Light Potato Salad – YES! It can be done (and be delicious)
Potato salad is traditionally a high calorie, off limits, no no when it comes to summer BBQ’s but frankly, it’s so delicious we decided to put together a low calorie, totally yummy version for you – I hope you enjoy it as much as our nutritionists do!
- 1 – 900g bag of baby potatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 eggs, boiled and sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 oz capers, drained
- 4 green onions (green part only), minced
- 1/2 cup light Miracle Whip (30 calories/Tbsp or less)
- 1/4 cup 1% milk
- 1.5 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- Steam 1 until tender but not overly soft, about 20 minutes. Submerse in cold water to cool immediately. Remove from water, pat dry. Cut potatoes in half, placing in a large mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle 2 over 1and mix.
- Boil 3 for 15minutes. Submerse in cold water to cool immediately. Remove from water, peel, slice and add to 1.
- Mix 4-6 into mixing bowl.
- In a measuring cup, combine 7-11 and stir thoroughly.
- Add sauce to mixing bowl, gently stirring all ingredients together.
- Serves 6 (6 generous 1 cup servings)
This recipe is so easy to make and exceptionally low calorie for a traditional potato salad. If a more traditional mayonnaise is used (like Hellmens light), then use ¼ cup mayo and add 1/3 cup low fat milk to make the dressing go further while keeping the calories comparatively low.