- 30g thick-cut bacon (about 2 pieces), cut into ½ inch pieces
- 14 oz beef chuck roast or top blade steak (about 3 medium steaks), trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1.5-2 inch pieces
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 medium celery stalks, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh sage, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 ½ cups water
- 4 medium parsnips, halve lengthwise, cored, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 carrots, chopped (into 1-inch pieces)
- 3 medium red potatoes, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 Tbsp. prepared horseradish
- Cook 1 in a 6-quart Dutch oven or other heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat until bacon is browned but not crisp ~6-8 minutes. Remove bacon and transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate and set aside. Do not wipe out the pan.
- Heat the bacon fat over medium-high heat. Season 2 with your desired amount of 3 and brown the beef on all sides (if necessary, do this in batches to avoid overcrowding). Transfer browned beef to a plate and set aside.
- Add 4 and 5 to the pot, reducing the heat to medium. Cook, stirring often until the vegetables begin to soften ~5-6 minutes.
- Add 6 and 7, stirring occasionally until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Add 8-10 stirring with a wooden spoon to dissolve any browned bits in the bottom of the pot. Raise the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Return the beef and bacon to the pot and add 11-13. Stir contents to combine and reduce heat to a simmer. Place lid over pot and cook for ~45 minutes or until potato and veggies are fork tender.
- Stir in 14-15 and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Makes 6 servings. Each serving is approximately 2 cups.
- A 2 cup serving of this stew satisfies the starch and protein part of the plate model.
- Serve this dish along side another vegetable like green beans, asparagus or broccoli and you’ve got yourself the perfect plate and for less than 400 calories!
- We found this stew needed to be thickened a little bit. To do so, combine 1 Tbsp. of cornstarch with 2 Tbsp. cold water to form a paste. Mix paste into the stew after adding parsley and horseradish over medium heat until sauce thickens.
Beef Stew with Root Vegetables
Amount Per Serving
|Total Fat||6.4 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.3 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.4 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.3 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||30.6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5.1 g|